Internship Quantitative Modelling in Energy Markets
- Interships & Traineeships
Internship / Placement opportunity for Master students (Econometrics / Mathematics) Energy market trading and forecasting
We are looking for a final year MSc. student to do an internship or placement in the field of quantitative modeling in energy markets (electricity and gas).
The European energy market is very volatile: prices go up and down in response to the weather forecasts, to oil price changes, to news affecting supply expectations (‘shale gas’, ‘Groningen’, ‘Russia’, ‘nuclear plant inspections’), etc. Our software models help energy companies to run a more profitable business in a market where margins are slim.
KYOS Energy Consulting develops financial analysis software for trading, valuation and risk management in energy and other commodity markets. The software is in use at large corporations, mainly energy companies, large industrials and trading houses. KYOS continuously works on the further improvement, extension and integration of its software suite.
Your role as intern
At the start of the internship, we will define a suitable project, with a scope that is manageable within the internship period. As an energy market intern, you will work on this project, for example related to short-term price forecasting, optimal bidding of power plants in the market, medium- and long-term scenario analysis, valuation of power plants or energy options, optimal hedging and risk management strategies, etc. You will contribute to the development of new functionalities and empirically test them on market data. Together with your international KYOS colleagues, you will use existing models, develop new models, analyze data and assess forecasting accuracy. With this internship you will get a good understanding of energy markets and energy trading, as well as apply your mathematical skills to develop powerful tools for traders.
Successful applicants will:
- Be in the final phase of their Master’s in Econometrics, Mathematics or similar field of education
- Be available for 3-5 days per week for a minimum of three months
- Have a keen interest in energy markets and financial modeling
- Demonstrate experience with Matlab programming
- Have strong analytical skills
- Be result-oriented, while ensuring the quality of work
- Be proficient in English, both verbally and in writing.
- After the 3-months period, the internship may be combined with the writing of your Master thesis.
We offer an entrepreneurial work environment in an international team with several ‘quants’. You will gain valuable experience in energy markets and financial modeling.
Working at Kyos
Our office is located in the old center of Haarlem, the Netherlands. It is 5-10 minutes’ walk from the central railway station, and easy to reach from Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam, Utrecht and Leiden.
- Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands
- Period: from September 2018 or later
- Duration: 3 months or longer
- For: Master students in Econometrics, Mathematics or similar
Are you interested in doing your internship at KYOS? To apply, please send your CV and motivation letter to: email@example.com to the attention of Marieke Diesnis